There's Always Time For Tea
January 2018 - March 2018
Get members of your community or organisation together and host a Tea Party to raise money for older people in Northumberland. 'There's Only Time For Tea' is a new inititaive that has been created to alleviate loneliness in the county. You can help within your town or village by inviting an older person/people to tea and by fundraising for the development of a Friendship Line in Northumberland.
The story so far...
Research suggests that there are over 5000 lonely older people in Northumberland; loneliness is a profound problem in the county, made harder by the rural landscape. A Friendship Line for the county will ensure that befrienders can reach hundreds of people, which will not only reduce loneliness in the county but it will also improve the health and wellbeing of the people that use it.
£30,000 will ensure that a Friendship Line in Northumberland is developed. So far £12,061 has been raised at The Chairman's Tartan Ball, from community fundraising and from donations.
Every £5 that is raised will fund a telephone befriending call to a lonely older person. That may be the only person that they speak to that week...
How can you help? Brew for two or three or more!
Here some ideas for your fundraising event:
1. Hold a tea dance at your local community centre with a raffle and afternoon tea.
2. Host a bake sale at your place of work so that everyone has something sweet to eat with their morning cups of tea.
3. Fill a tea pot with your loose change and see how much you can raise in January.
4. Tea parties don't just have to be during the day, why not get together with friends later in the evening and host a 'G and Tea Party'. Ask for donations from guests or sell cup cakes. Cocktails and cakes are a perfect combination!
5. Schools and Nurseries - colour in one of our tea pot templates and see how many pennies you can stick onto it.